Related Forum Threads
- Saving on Meat Last post on 7/17/12 at 6:05pm in Money Saving Tips: Food
- Groceries at Menards Last post on 5/6/13 at 5:22am in Grocery Bargains
- Italian Meatballs - YUMMY! Last post on 4/17/13 at 2:03pm in Main Dishes
- What are the 25 grocery items you purchase most often? Last post on 4/10/13 at 5:25pm in Grocery Bargains
- Be sure to check the food aisles at Target for 50% off clearance items Last post on 3/6/13 at 10:52am in Target
First Once a Month Shopping Trip
Edited on 3/12/13
- Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget UpdateEdited on 1/14/13
- Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips - Budget UpdateEdited on 1/10/13
- The Who & What - 2013 Goals and Accountability
Alphabetical Article List
How to save money on meat...tips!
The way I save on meats is to buy it when it goes on sale so generally I'll head to the market in the morning after dropping my son off at school. The meat is near its expiration date so plan on using this meat that same day or freeze. Just ask your butcher about their mark down schedule.
Buy less expensive cuts of meat by tenderizing, marinating and consider slow roasting or throw it into a crock pot recipe. Don't buy the already formed and frozen ground beef for burgers, instead buy fresh ground beef and make them yourself.
When shopping for chicken, fish or a side of beef- buy it whole. De-bone the chicken yourself, slice the beef as you prefer and fillet your own fish. You-Tube has a lot of great instructional videos to help you. Butterflying your chicken breasts helps stretch a dish.
Also think about the store you shop at. Sometimes going to an ethnic store can save you money. Try checking out the Asian, Indian or Hispanic local stores. I know that ethnic stores are inexpensive with their meat and produce.
Try adding tofu or ground turkey to ground beef for making meatloaf, chili, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, sloppy joes as well as regular hamburgers helps stretch it out without affecting its flavor. (adding some cooked beans, oats, cooked rice or bread crumbs and other diced veggies like carrot, celery and onion works too - be sure to add a bit of water, egg or milk so it won't be dry).
If you buy meat from the deli counter, instead of asking them to slice it for you - ask for it to be shaved instead. You'll use less meat when making sandwiches.
Keep a look out before and after a major holiday - you can score on inexpensive meats. Like turkey or ham after T-Giving & Christmas and before Memorial Day, 4th of July and even the Super Bowl you can score on hot dogs, sausages, ribs and chicken.
If you happen to see roasts go on sale, ask the butcher to slice it up for you (to make cheese steaks for example) or ground it up to use as hamburger meat or you can just keep it as is and do what you please.
Try buying online like on Omaha Steaks as well as Amazon. Just calculate the final cost, divide it by the amount of pounds to make sure you're getting a good deal.
Then we already know about buying it in bulk and freezing it - I dont have a membership to those warehouse stores but my mom does so it helps if you know someone with a membership, if you dont have one.
Hunt for it! OK the closest I'll come to hunting is just fishing. But its fun!
To save all together on meat...become a Vegetarian! Or just eat meatless a couple nights a week and substitute other proteins.
- Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update
- › What is your normal bed time 3 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Anyone grilling out this weekend 4 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › AC or fans during the summer? 4 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Do you go to car races? 5 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Train 26 5 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › I'm always looking for a deal on ______. 5 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › May Crop- Chit Chat 5 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Ohio Dr raped women and injecteda pregnant woman with heroin 5 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › What is your favorite thing to buy second hand? 6 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Memorial Day Weekend Freebies, Deals and Activities 7 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Duck Dynasty: Season 1 by Kim
- › Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle by swishina
- › Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz by Annie's Mom
- › V8 Splash Berry Blend 64 oz (Pack of 8) by Annie's Mom
- › Tazo Tazo Iced Tea Passion 6 Bag (Pack Of 4) by Annie's Mom
- › Folgers Fresh Breaks Breakfast Blend Coffee, .85 Ounce (Pack of 8) by Kim
- › L'Oreal Evercreme Deep Nourish Masque 5.1 oz. (Pack of 6) by swishina
- › Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic by swishina
- › Joovy Caboose Stand On Tandem Stroller, Orangetree by swishina
- › Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8-Ounce Single Serve Bags (Pack... by swishina
- › First Once a Month Shopping Trip by JenM
- › The New Menu Plan - Once a Month Shopping by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update by JenM
- › Playdates on the Fly by Kim
- › The Stockpile by JenM
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -... by JenM