Playdates on the Fly
Playdates on the Fly: Quick Tips for Fast and Easy Fun
Playdates don’t always require a lot of planning and advance notice. Sometimes the best ones are set up at the very last minute! Here are some ideas for playdates on the fly and quick tips to make them even easier.
- Stay organized by keeping a list of your child’s favorite playmates along with their phone numbers posted near your phone. For the last-minute playdate, start by simply going down the list to see who is available.
- Go where the kids are. Head to your local park, library, YMCA or recreation center. One benefit of going without a built-in playmate is that your child will learn to make new friends on his own. Social skills like that are extremely valuable, and should be practiced on a regular basis.
- If you’re lucky enough to have kids in your neighborhood, you’ve got easy access to on-the-fly playdates. Cultivate those relationships so that when kids are old enough, they can ride their bikes or walk to houses that are in close proximity to yours, making getting together a breeze.
- Plan a lunch or dinner date. Everyone has to eat, so by pairing a playdate with a meal getting together has a purpose. To make it even easier, plan to meet at a kid-friendly restaurant or take a picnic to the park. Check out current restaurants discounts, coupons and deals to make it frugal as well.
- Have a stash of special toys or playthings reserved for those times when your kids simply need something new to do. An outdoor playdate “fun kit” is great to keep in your car, but you can also make one for indoor use as well. When you’re done, put them away for the next time.