Tips on saving money with groceries
Describe 'Tips on saving money with groceries' here
The grocery budget is usually the easiest to adjust. Here are tips to save money on groceries.
1. Sit down with the sales flyers and plan your menu for the week based off of what is on sale. I have baked chicken when HyVee has chicken thighs on sale.
2. Stock up on meat and freeze for later when it's on sale. Meat will always go on sale around the Super Bowl and the 4th of July.
3. Compare prices and buy generic or storebrand items if they are the better deal.
4. I have saved a lot of money on groceries by shopping at Aldi's.
5. Shop farmer's markets for fresh produce.
6. Plant a garden.
7. If you know someone that has a garden let them know if they have extra you wouldn't mind taking it. I have friends and coworkers that have given me vegetables simply because their gardens produced more than they can use.
8. Make your own mixes, salad dressing, sauces and marinades from scratch. You can find recipes to make your own baking mix, taco seasoning, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc.
9. Save money by using coupons. Hang on to coupons as long as possible before they expire to try and combine them with a sale price for extra savings. Don't be afraid to let people know you would like coupons. At work we have a locker that people drop off the coupons they don't use. Libraries often receive multiple Sunday papers and offer the coupons on a first come first serve basis. Also be on the look out for coupons in or on packaging.
10. Think leftovers when you are meal planning. If you have leftover mashed potatoes make Shepherd's Pie. Leftover taco meat can be mixed with scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito. Take leftovers to work with you for lunch.
11. Save money on bread by making your own or shopping at a bread outlet store.
12. Try meatless meals such as breakfast items for supper. We love pancakes or french toast for supper.
13. Walmart and Fareway will price match competitor sale prices. Simply take the sale flyer with you and point out the competitor's sale price when you check out. Target does this as well, but you might need to go to customer service in order to get a price match completed.
14. If your store offers a shopper's savers card sign up for that.
15. Remember that you can use a Target coupon and a manufacturer coupon for the same item for extra savings.