Posts by Artie

We have private insurance through dh's company, and Lily is on medical assistance through a program for special needs kids (the other girls are not on that). Without medical assistance, we would have seen MILLIONS of dollars (no joke) in medical bills. There is no way the average person could afford that, even on a good day. In our state, you have to be practically at poverty level to even be able to get food stamps (UNLESS you are pregnant or have a new baby...then the...
Before I was pregnant with the twins, I'd never had a flu shot. The twins are almost 6 now, and I've gotten one pretty much every year. After doing a lot of research and putting a lot of thought into it, I've decided the girls and I will not get them this year. Lily, one of the twins, will still have to get one though. She has asthma, and as much as I wish I wouldn't have to put those things into her body, I can't risk her getting sick. We are going to take Vitamin D...
Lily IS in underwear. They're just the padded variety, and she wears the vinyl pants over them for extra insurance. Like you, I told her she was a big girl, and big girls wear panties, pay attention to their bodies, and use the toilet. Honestly, her twin was so challenging to potty train, that I'm not surprised Lily is. When I brought it up to the ped (which was quite awhile ago now), they basically just said the same things I'm already doing. Thanks for your...
We must be a hopeless case! I just keep praying that one day she'll just "get it." That's how it seemed to be with both sisters before her. The biggest issue, I think, is that she was ready to potty train cognitively before she was ready physically. Her twin never told me when she had to go potty (would just go in her pants each and every time...took a couple of years of trying off and on, but finally one day, it just clicked...if I had not been vigilant, she would...
We did that for a little while with our 3 girls (who are 2 years apart). My oldest wanted to be in the same room as her little sisters (who are twins), so we moved them in together. Her room then became the play room. It lasted a few months, and then, she wanted her own space again. They still do sleepovers sometimes, but I think my oldest likes having her own room....most of the time.
Coming from someone who is still struggling to potty train her 5-1/2 y/o (in my defense she did have significant gross motor delays), take my advice for what it's worth. Nonetheless, I would encourage you to try. If he doesn't like the mess in his diaper, he's getting to the point where you can tell him poo and potty belong in the toilet. Pay attention to his cues, and encourage him to go frequently. Like someone else said, forget the pull-ups and just move straight...
My favorite knock knock joke... Knock Knock Who's there? Interrupting cow. Interrupting C-- MOO! A bit of a potty joke, but still kind of cute... Why was Tigger looking in the toilet? He was looking for Pooh.
My 5-1/2 year old isn't potty trained yet. [[hiding now]] It's not for lack of trying (on my part). The answer is really twofold. First: She didn't walk until she was 3-1/2 due to severe gross motor delays, and second: during that time she got used to pooping and peeing in her diaper. For the last two years, off and on, I have worked with her, encouraged her to use the potty, and sometimes she does. More often she doesn't. About 3 months ago, I ran out of pull...
I'm one of those hippy parents who doesn't give anything for a fever unless it's over102ºF. A fever is the way your body fights something off. If you suppress the fever by giving Tylenol or Motrin (always give with food or milk because it can cause GI bleeds....trust me on that one), you are suppressing the immune system and not allowing the body to fight off whatever it's trying to fight off. (The nurse practitioner at our ped's office recently told me the exact same...
Yes, I do. It's my third year homeschooling and the first with all 3 girls. Lily has gross motor, reflex integration, and speech delays due to being born with VACTERL Syndrome (she had structural anomalies to her esophagus, trachea, heart, and small intestine), as well as asthma.