Mommysavers › Forums › General Discussion › Chit-Chat › Moldy cheese
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moldy cheese

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Can you get sick from eating moldy cheese? I was making my taco casserole and took a handful of cheese out of the bag and it was moldy. I took off the casserole what I could. Opened another bag and that bag was a little white not green. Can we get sick if the cheese is in its first stage of getting moldy?
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
bump
post #3 of 13
If its not too bad, I too will pick off the little bits of mold. Cheese after all is mold. But use your judgement, if the whole thing is green and fuzzy - toss it.
Ive never gotten sick from picking off the little bits of moldy cheese, cooking and eating it.
post #4 of 13
As long as you took off the mold, and as long as you don't have super-sensitive tummies, the mold shouldn't hurt. However, it seems the smell and taste would be strange enough to turn you off. We have very sensitive tummies here, so I don't push it with dairy.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
thanks
post #6 of 13
In high school, I used to work in a cheese shop. First thing when we opened, we went through all the coolers & checked the wrapped cheeses for mold. Any with mold, we took in back, opened, cut the mold off, re-wrapped the cheese, re-weighed it & re-priced it. Eating the mold, well, I would avoid if I could, but if it was a little by accident it wouldn't hurt. Heck, my uncle hardly ever refridgerated anything & he would eat stuff after it sat out for days. He lived to 95. We figured it was a natural antibiotic or something.
post #7 of 13
I'm pretty paranoid about bacteria. I'm not obsessive, but sometimes I do go overboard! I check every expiration date and never use a product one day after the date. Crazy, aren't I? So. . . . I wouldn't use moldy cheese, but that's just me!
post #8 of 13
I just cut off the mold and use the cheese. The white stuff on cheese usually isn't mold, anyway. It's just there, especially with already shredded cheese. Should be ok.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vioburn View Post

I just cut off the mold and use the cheese. The white stuff on cheese usually isn't mold, anyway. It's just there, especially with already shredded cheese. Should be ok.

Thats what some of it was the white stuff. What is that?
post #10 of 13
On hard cheeses like cheddars, the mold can be removed and the rest of the cheese is fine. On soft cheeses like cream cheese and neuf., the mold can be in the other parts of it before you can see it, so you should pitch the rest. I just read that the other day in one of my magazines (Good Housekeeping or something).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chit-Chat
Mommysavers › Forums › General Discussion › Chit-Chat › Moldy cheese