Mommysavers › Forums › General Discussion › Family Matters › Trying to Conceive, Pregnancy & Babies › Does an IUD cause an abortion??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does an IUD cause an abortion?? - Page 3

post #21 of 35
This is from the Mirena website.

A. There is no single explanation of how Mirena works.
Mirena may:
\t

* Block sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg
* Make the lining of your uterus thin (this may also result in benefits like less menstrual bleeding over time)
* Stop the release of your egg from your ovary (but this may not be the way it works in most cases)

It is believed that all 3 of these actions may work together to prevent pregnancy.


It's the second one that makes me uncomfortable as it is essentially preventing a fertilized egg from implanting. It seems weird to me that they don't know exactly how it works. I'm assuming it is mostly the second (and least desirable) way that prevents most of the pregnancies but they don't want to focus on that. I'm not sure how the copper IUD works.
post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
The iud companies (drug companies) arent being completely honest with us. Lets face it ladies. If they told us the truth about how this product really worked, no one would use it! So they maintain that they arent really sure how it works-Pleeeaaase! What if they said this:

"The egg and sperm can still fertilize, however, they can't implant in most cases-therfore preventing pregnancies."

Then not many people would use their product. The food and drug administration are what makes the world go round, but thats another topic!
post #23 of 35
I, in the past have read alot about this, because I was very concerned about it. At the time I researched I discovered that the primary mechanism of the pill was to prevent ovulation, however, when that function did not work which happens frequently, it prevented the lining of the uterus from building up thereby causing an early miscarriage. I also discovered that an IUD does the same thing. I even was given the page in the AMA Handbook and read it when I researched this, although I don't currently have it. Therefore if this is an issue that concerns you, please research it. That way you can be informed and atleast make an choice about what you should do based on the facts you learn. This information is also in the detailed packets that the pharmicists get with the pill (if you read in deep detail). Therefore it is your decision as to what makes you comfortable based on your opinions of morality what to do with the information, but for us it meant that we could not use these methods. I hope this helps. If you need more information, I can probably find it for you and wouldn't mind at all. So just pm me and I'll be glad to help.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotasmomma03 View Post


So, conception as a possibility with an IUD is not the concensus if I'm to be counted because I disagree that its even possible. Believe me, if I thought it was a possibility, I never would have gotten one.

It is definitely possible to get pregnant with an IUD. A family friend had one in and now has a four year old little girl while she was using it! It was inserted correctly. She was just 'one of those very rare few'.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

It is definitely possible to get pregnant with an IUD. A family friend had one in and now has a four year old little girl while she was using it! It was inserted correctly. She was just 'one of those very rare few'.

And, I know someone that had baby #4 in early October. She'd gotten an IUD because she already has a 3 yr old, and 2-yr old twins at home. Well, surprise, now she has 4 kiddos in 3 years! EEK!!
post #26 of 35
I swear this same exact conversation comes up on this board every year. It is so frustrating.

First, medically, you are not pregnant when sperm meets egg. Sperm meets egg all the time & does not implant. You would have a regular period and never even know there was a "potential" for pregnancy as fertilized eggs frequently do not implant. Fertilized eggs are not pregnancies. They are simply fertilized eggs. If the fertilized egg implants in the uterus, THEN you are pregnant.

The various ways a birth control works - if it is to block sperm, prevent ovulation, or make it difficult for a fertilized egg to implant - those are all ways to PREVENT pregnancy. NONE of them are abortion methods. The fact that a fertilized egg may not implant is NOT an abortion as, again, this happens all the time WITHOUT birth control, and is not a pregnancy.

If people choose to believe that a fertilized egg is a pregnancy, then they either do not understand science or choose to believe in religious pamphlets over scientific fact.

As far as can I live with the knowledge that my birth control method might cause an fertilized egg to not implant or otherwise cause an abortion - darn right I can. I pay good money for birth control to ENSURE I do not get pregnant. I don't care how it does it so long as I do not get pregnant. I do not want to have to have an abortion, which I would do if I were to get pregnant. Luckily, after 27 years on the pill it's never been an issue.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimari View Post

I swear this same exact conversation comes up on this board every year. It is so frustrating.

First, medically, you are not pregnant when sperm meets egg. Sperm meets egg all the time & does not implant. You would have a regular period and never even know there was a "potential" for pregnancy as fertilized eggs frequently do not implant. Fertilized eggs are not pregnancies. They are simply fertilized eggs. If the fertilized egg implants in the uterus, THEN you are pregnant.

The various ways a birth control works - if it is to block sperm, prevent ovulation, or make it difficult for a fertilized egg to implant - those are all ways to PREVENT pregnancy. NONE of them are abortion methods. The fact that a fertilized egg may not implant is NOT an abortion as, again, this happens all the time WITHOUT birth control, and is not a pregnancy.

If people choose to believe that a fertilized egg is a pregnancy, then they either do not understand science or choose to believe in religious pamphlets over scientific fact.

As far as can I live with the knowledge that my birth control method might cause an fertilized egg to not implant or otherwise cause an abortion - darn right I can. I pay good money for birth control to ENSURE I do not get pregnant. I don't care how it does it so long as I do not get pregnant. I do not want to have to have an abortion, which I would do if I were to get pregnant. Luckily, after 27 years on the pill it's never been an issue.

I was just about to type almost those exact words.

You can bet the rent that if you are a sexually active woman, at some point (likely several) in your life, a fertilized egg has been expelled with your menstrual cycle. It happens all the time.
AFIC, pregnancy happens at implantation, not fertilization.

Copper IUD's primarily function by releasing small amounts of copper into the uterus, making the envirinment hostile to SPERM. Sperm actually ahve a pretty narrow pH, temperature, and environmental viscosity range in which they can survive. They're fragile little critters. If making the environment hostile to sperm also makes it hostile to a fertilized egg, I'm okay with that. I realize that many people disagree with me, but I don't consider a zygote or an embryo a person,and I don't consider a fetus a person until it's developed to the point that it can survive outside the uterus.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimari View Post

I swear this same exact conversation comes up on this board every year. It is so frustrating.

THIS particular thread is from 2006 lol,, got bumped by a spammer
post #29 of 35
For an independent source (Babycenter.com):

"How does an IUD work?

Both types of IUDs work primarily by preventing sperm from fertilizing an egg. They do this in a few different ways. First, they stimulate an inflammatory response in the uterus, causing changes that damage or kill sperm and that may damage an egg as well. In the unlikely event that an egg does get fertilized and survives, an IUD makes it harder for it to implant in the uterus.

The progestin IUD may also thicken cervical mucus, making it more difficult for the sperm to enter the uterus. In addition, the progestin may keep some women from ovulating."

By both types they are referring to the copper-T and Mirena.

The article goes on to say:
"The copper IUD may also be used for emergency contraception. If it's inserted within five days after unprotected sex, it's more effective than taking emergency contraceptive pills. Plus you can just leave it in for ongoing contraception."

I won't say if use of an IUD is technically an abortion (or miscarriage), but PERSONALLY I couldn't bring myself to actively prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. Yes, I know I could have had a fertilized egg that never implanted (I probably had many, as a matter of fact); I just made the personal decision to try to use a BC method that prevented the sperm and egg from ever meeting.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_teeee67 View Post

THIS particular thread is from 2006 lol,, got bumped by a spammer

D'OH! I gotta start looking more closely at those dates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Mommysavers › Forums › General Discussion › Family Matters › Trying to Conceive, Pregnancy & Babies › Does an IUD cause an abortion??