- 1 Post. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- What is your child's favorite frugal school lunch? Last post on 8/26/13 at 7:33pm in Money Saving Tips: Food
- Kids Crafts with Tissue Boxes Last post on 9/15/14 at 9:48am in Your Creative Side
- Cool Uses for Tissue Boxes Last post on 9/12/14 at 5:20am in Scrapbooking & Paper Crafts
- Ridiculously Amazing Toilet Paper Roll Art Last post on 8/26/14 at 6:18pm in Your Creative Side
- How do you repurpose wine bottles? Last post on 9/7/14 at 6:33pm in Your Creative Side
The Who & What - 2013 Goals and Accountability
Last edited: 1/3/13
- Using Foursquare to SaveLast edited: 8/24/12
- If You Love To Eat OutLast edited: 2/7/12
- saving-money-using-a-co-opLast edited: 2/7/12
- save-money-on-your-groceriesLast edited: 2/7/12
Great Story! A little different from her other stories that I have read, but catchy. Has a dark element to the story but adds a twist to the usual. Plus it is based in Ireland which is always a...
Suave Professionals shampoo and conditioner are my favorite hair care products. I used to go with whatever I good find for a good deal. When I was younger I went with the cheap stuff for $1. ...
Sunsweet Ones has been a favorite snack of mine for awhile. I always liked the orange and lemon essence prunes. I never liked the regular ones but I thought I was give them a try. I really do...
So I totally LOVE the idea of apple sauce in pouches! We have been buying the GoGo Squeez Cinnamon Apple Sauce for awhile. The flavor is great, it's mess-free and perfect for lunches and...
My kids are 4 and 7. They are getting a little old for the whole "baby pool" thing. I didn't want to spend tons of money so I spent $8 on this basic slip-in-slide at Target. It's kind of a "get...
Frugal Meals for Kids: Cheap Snack and Lunch Ideas - Page 15post #141 of 1748/14/12 at 7:58amNo offense intended to this teacher that has asked parents to never never send a thermos of warm food but shouldn't we have to option of sending our little kids to school with a warm home cooked healthy meal- even if it's an 'inconvienence?' School lunches continue to be terrible and frankly expensive when compared to what we can send from home. We, as parents, apologize for any inconvienence feeding our children may create for the teacher but please complian to the school boards about needing lunchroom assistants. Please don't ask parents to stop sending good food in for their children.
Mommysavers Deals of the Weekpost #142 of 1748/17/12 at 8:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Anonymous76
No offense intended to this teacher that has asked parents to never never send a thermos of warm food but shouldn't we have to option of sending our little kids to school with a warm home cooked healthy meal- even if it's an 'inconvienence?' School lunches continue to be terrible and frankly expensive when compared to what we can send from home. We, as parents, apologize for any inconvienence feeding our children may create for the teacher but please complian to the school boards about needing lunchroom assistants. Please don't ask parents to stop sending good food in for their children.
I am a teacher and I send warm lunches in with my own two children. I may spend one minute or maybe even two opening three or four hot containers for my class each day. It is NO BIG DEAL.
I make a pasta dish for the weeks lunch and store them in one serving size containers in my fridge or freezer in the morning I pop one in the microwave then put it in the thermos each morning.post #143 of 1748/23/12 at 4:50pmpost #144 of 1748/27/12 at 11:08am
I totally agree with the moms here. My daughter is on "low-carb eating," and she gets tired of eating the same old things. Our school lunches are terrible, so there's little choice but to send her with a lunch from home. Since the kids are not allowed to use a microwave at school, I asked her teachers if they were okay with me occasionally sending a thermos with her, which provides my daughter with a much greater variety of healthy lunch ideas. As one of her teachers is a Weight Watchers instructor, she thought it was a great idea. Thank goodness my daughter's teacher doesn't complain and gripe the way this teacher did.post #145 of 1748/29/12 at 9:41am
I don't think that teacher was telling moms not to send warm meals in a thermos -- what she was saying was not to put boiling water in the thermos first because it makes them much more difficult to open, for teachers and kids. People really jumped to the wrong conclusion on that one. I can't believe someone would accuse her of "just working for a paycheck" instead of actually caring about her job and her students. Newsflash: teachers are not paid very well. If she was in it just for the money she'd probably find a higher paying gig!
Just don't put boiling water in the thermos before you to avoid the vacuum seal effect. That's all she was saying.post #146 of 1748/29/12 at 5:14pmpost #147 of 1749/4/12 at 8:19pm
Some new snacks/lunches my kids have been eating lately that I'll be sending to school with my daughter:
post #148 of 1749/14/12 at 8:41ampost #149 of 1749/14/12 at 3:03pm
- I bought a box of 2 oz containers of hummus at Costco. Add some Pretzel Crisps in a baggie
- tortilla spread with refried beans and some shredded cheese. She likes this cold
- Ritz crackers with peanut butter, and another cracker on top to make a sandwich
- and for a treat: graham cracker sandwiches with homemade frosting
Dorito Taco Salad is the new favorite for my boys too. Sure, I'd prefer they stayed faithful to the Apple Sandwich; but I load them up with grilled chicken, a lot of diced green pepper, lettuce and shredded cheese. The Dorito chips are a small portion of the meal...mostly they need the bag, because that's what makes it a fun lunch.
post #150 of 1749/27/12 at 9:12am
We are a gluten-free (grain free home) I send:
turkey roll-ups: broccoli slaw rolled in turkey slices (I like mustard but only one of my kids likes mustard in it)
apples slices w/ reusable container of almond butter
Left overs, left overs and left overs!
I always make a ton of chicken soup and chili to send for the rest of the week for all of us!
- Frugal Meals for Kids: Cheap Snack and Lunch Ideas
- Using Foursquare to Save
- › ideas for grapes and apples? 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Inflamed optical nerve and brain MRI 8 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › If you do dinner theme nights, what are your themes? 13 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › 5 ingredients or less recipes 13 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › What are your favorite meatless meals? 14 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Color challenge 18 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Any little victories lately? 18 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Anybody want to join me in starting our holiday cards ??? 21 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › hairy legs in pregnancy? 1 day ago
- › Should Adrian Peterson have been suspended? 1 day, 11 hours ago
- › Dark Witch (Cousins O'Dwyer) by Ellie Mae
- › Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Smoothing Shampoo, 12.6 Ounce... by Annie's Mom
- › Sunsweet Ones Super Select California Prunes by Annie's Mom
- › GoGo SqueeZ applecinnamon, Applesauce on the Go, 3.2-Ounce Pouches... by Annie's Mom
- › Banzai Soak N Splash Water Slide by Annie's Mom
- › Doc McStuffins Deluxe Get Better Check-Up Center by Annie's Mom
- › Resolve Carpet Pet High Traffic Foam, 22 Ounce (Pack of 2) by Annie's Mom
- › SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Starter Kit, Black and Silver by Annie's Mom
- › Fiber One Fruit Flavored Snacks Mixed Berry - 10 CT by swishina
- › Casabella Small Contour Sponge Waffle Texture (Pack of 24) by Williamcn
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget...
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget...
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -...
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -...
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update
- › The Stockpile
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -...
- › The Who & What - 2013 Goals and...
- › Contest Terms and Conditions Mommy Me Time
- › Using Foursquare to Save