I use coins for something similar. I have a bank that reads the size of the coins and is able to keep track of how much I've put in. I rarely use cash but when I do I always have change. The change is automatically inserted in the bank.(By the way, a side benefit of not having cash is that I truly don't have money when my kids ask to borrow some!)
Related Forum Threads
- What is your best money saving tip? Last post on 5/8/13 at 9:19am in Welcome and Introductions
- I just saved at least $80... Last post on 9/24/12 at 2:07pm in Money Saving Tips: Household
- What do you do to fight frugal fatigue? Last post on 1/21/13 at 6:50am in Spending Less and Saving More
- Depression era tips Last post on 10/1/12 at 11:35am in Money Saving Tips: Household
- Top Ideas for Saving Money Daily Last post on 3/4/13 at 9:06am in Spending Less and Saving More
The Who & What - 2013 Goals and Accountability
Edited on 1/3/13
- Using Foursquare to SaveEdited on 8/24/12
- If You Love To Eat OutEdited on 2/7/12
- Save Money Right at HomeEdited on 2/7/12
- saving-money-using-a-co-opEdited on 2/7/12
We discovered Duck Dynasty last fall and bought Season One to catch up. As with any good TV show, there are distinct characters that make it funny. In this case, it's the Robertson family - who...
This is the best, simple rattle for babies. The two bars make it easy to grasp, and it makes the perfect rattle sound when baby shakes it. Not so noisy that it's annoying or disruptive, but...
I LOVE cooking with canned fire-roasted tomatoes! They add a little something extra to every dish whether it be chili or spaghetti sauce. Before finding the Hunt's, I had to pay twice the price...
I tried it because there was a good deal at my local grocery store. My kids honestly aren't much of juice drinkers, but I am. I thought this would be a good beverage to try on my picky eaters. ...
I LOVE this product!!! I tried it for the first time because I LOVE iced tea but not the caffeine. I like juice but it's way too strong and sweet of a flavor to quench my thirst. This herbal...
The $5 Savings Plan - Have you tried it? - Page 6post #52 of 1403/13/12 at 4:33pm
I started this plan seven months before our cruise last year. Over the course of seven months I had to trade in my $5 bills for larger ones because the mason jar kept filling up! We had over $1100 to take for fun money. Since I don't use credit cards and pay cash for 80% of my spending I saved quite a bit. The only down side was when I would stop at Wendy's for lunch and the total was $4.98...I'd give a $20 and they would give me back three $5 for change. My family always would laugh at me when that happened and keep me honest to my savings when we got home.
I would also add spare change to the jar every so often. That adds up, too.post #53 of 1404/1/12 at 8:38pm
I like the idea of the card you're using (6% on groceries, etc. etc.), esp. because you go online and make a payment each week. Great way to do it! I've been putting random bills into a Mason jar on a shelf in my kitchen...it starts to build up, then I run short of $$ for something, to pay the lawn man, etc., and out go a few of the bills, til I'm down to an empty Mason jar again. I'm going to try the $1/day plan, and start of small, and WILL NOT TOUCH any of the money in it!post #54 of 1404/5/12 at 9:45ampost #55 of 1404/7/12 at 7:44pmpost #56 of 1404/7/12 at 8:45pmpost #57 of 1404/15/12 at 8:10ampost #58 of 1404/15/12 at 8:38amThread Starterpost #59 of 1404/16/12 at 4:16pm
We rarely have/use cash so we actually put all of it in the jar. It is amazing how quickly it adds up. Sometimes we take out cash for a trip or to buy or sell something from craigslist or garage sale etc. Sometimes you just need a little cash. Since it only comes out in twenty dollar bills there is usually more than $5 but less than $20. Whatever is left after the original purchase goes in the jar. All birthday money, refunds from store returns, change from cash purchases, all of it goes in the jar.
I love Dave Ramsey but if I have cash I spend it much more quickly with less accountability as to where it went. When I swipe my card, I have a record of it. (especially when using mint.com) When I have cash, I love putting it in the jar and look for an opportunity to fill the jar to an even amount so I can make a deposit. If it were in my wallet, I would just spend it because its "off the record".
PS we also put a prayer card in the jar to remember to be grateful and stay focused on the goalpost #60 of 1404/16/12 at 4:32pm
We always save our coins in the "love jars" as hubby calls them. Empty 5-gallon water jugs, one holds pennies the other holds silver coins.
I just recently started saving the $5's. Seeing as how I've been focused on using cash more as opposed to my debit card I figured I might as well try this too. It's actually working out great. Although it really made me question breaking a $20 on a mcdonalds frappe splurge this afternoon (it was 90 degrees out!) when I got back 3 $5s haha
- The $5 Savings Plan - Have you tried it?
- Using Foursquare to Save
- › Picture of the handkerchief that my daughter-in-law gave me 56 seconds ago
- › Spin off: what UNfrugal things have you done this week 1 minute ago
- › Week of 5/20....what have you done this week that saved money? 3 minutes ago
- › *NEW* Find a Wedding Dress at Target?!?! 24 minutes ago
- › Anyone have frugal Memorial Day weekend plans? 52 minutes ago
- › Kindle Freebie: 33 Ingredient Substitutions To Help You Cook... 55 minutes ago
- › Free Hashbrowns at Waffle House 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › May Crop Challenge 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › May Crop Extra Challenge 4 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › Star Trek 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Duck Dynasty: Season 1 by Kim
- › Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle by swishina
- › Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz by Annie's Mom
- › V8 Splash Berry Blend 64 oz (Pack of 8) by Annie's Mom
- › Tazo Tazo Iced Tea Passion 6 Bag (Pack Of 4) by Annie's Mom
- › Folgers Fresh Breaks Breakfast Blend Coffee, .85 Ounce (Pack of 8) by Kim
- › L'Oreal Evercreme Deep Nourish Masque 5.1 oz. (Pack of 6) by swishina
- › Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic by swishina
- › Joovy Caboose Stand On Tandem Stroller, Orangetree by swishina
- › Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8-Ounce Single Serve Bags (Pack... by swishina
- › First Once a Month Shopping Trip by JenM
- › The New Menu Plan - Once a Month Shopping by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update by JenM
- › Playdates on the Fly by Kim
- › The Stockpile by JenM
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -... by JenM