I did it a while back but with $1 and all change at the end of my day. I found it hard to give up all my $5. but on top of that when I did have the extra cash I would throw in a $10 and sometimes on a payday I would even do a $20. The trick to not dipping into the jar is to put it where you don't see it. I would have a jar that was on the counter for anyone in the family to add to it. I would randomly take out most of what was in there and hide it in a different spot where I was the only one that could get to it and before we knew it we were going on a vacation. I think I'm going to do it again! thanks for reminding me of a great idea I forgot about!
Related Forum Threads
- What is your best money saving tip? Last post on 5/8/13 at 9:19am in Welcome and Introductions
- I just saved at least $80... Last post on 9/24/12 at 2:07pm in Money Saving Tips: Household
- What do you do to fight frugal fatigue? Last post on 1/21/13 at 6:50am in Spending Less and Saving More
- Depression era tips Last post on 10/1/12 at 11:35am in Money Saving Tips: Household
- Top Ideas for Saving Money Daily Last post on 3/4/13 at 9:06am in Spending Less and Saving More
The Who & What - 2013 Goals and Accountability
Edited on 1/3/13
- Using Foursquare to SaveEdited on 8/24/12
- If You Love To Eat OutEdited on 2/7/12
- Save Money Right at HomeEdited on 2/7/12
- saving-money-using-a-co-opEdited on 2/7/12
We discovered Duck Dynasty last fall and bought Season One to catch up. As with any good TV show, there are distinct characters that make it funny. In this case, it's the Robertson family - who...
This is the best, simple rattle for babies. The two bars make it easy to grasp, and it makes the perfect rattle sound when baby shakes it. Not so noisy that it's annoying or disruptive, but...
I LOVE cooking with canned fire-roasted tomatoes! They add a little something extra to every dish whether it be chili or spaghetti sauce. Before finding the Hunt's, I had to pay twice the price...
I tried it because there was a good deal at my local grocery store. My kids honestly aren't much of juice drinkers, but I am. I thought this would be a good beverage to try on my picky eaters. ...
I LOVE this product!!! I tried it for the first time because I LOVE iced tea but not the caffeine. I like juice but it's way too strong and sweet of a flavor to quench my thirst. This herbal...
The $5 Savings Plan - Have you tried it? - Page 9post #82 of 1398/13/12 at 12:20pm
I have heard of saving $1 bills that have your and your husbands birth month or day in it.
Example: Birth Month for me is Nov so I look for 11. My husband is June so that will be 6 but it is better to use two digits so take his Birth day 22. If both are single digit then use the last two digits of your birth year. ex: 9-1-1999 use 99.
You can really save alot. The person who shared this with me said that they use the money to go on vacations but have also use for new applicance or other big priced items.post #83 of 1399/14/12 at 12:30am
I am doing 3 different methods right now. I am doing not spending any of my $1 bills or change. This is all going into a jar to be set aside for a rainy day. Today is the 13th and i have already saved up $175 in ones and no idea how much in change. On top of that I am saving $20 dollars a day. Its been pretty easy so far hopefully I can stick with it :) Also I have been saving all our recyclables and anything I make from that goes into the vacation fund :)post #84 of 1399/18/12 at 5:41pm
I like the idea of the $5.00 savings plan. I met a couple at the beach years ago and the way they saved was they never spent any of their change. It all went into a big jar and when they were ready to go on vacation they would cash it in. They would always have right at $1000.00 dollars...vacation paid for.post #85 of 1399/24/12 at 10:50ampost #86 of 1399/25/12 at 2:29pmpost #87 of 1399/26/12 at 9:48am
I started the $1 savings plan a couple years ago after losing my job. Since then I have used money to buy my husband and myself kayaks and all the gear and most recently I bought myself a new laptop. It's like a game I bundle them in a paperclip when I get $25 then drop them in my treasure chest. If I can do it while unemployed anyone can.post #88 of 1399/28/12 at 10:51pmpost #89 of 13910/7/12 at 9:50ampost #90 of 13910/11/12 at 7:51am
When I was a little girl, my dad gave me a dime every day. We would make a chart every month to keep track and make sure I received one every day. When I had enough, we would roll them and take them to the bank. When my dad passed away 6 years ago, I found 5 rolls of dimes in his dresser that we had never taken to the bank. They were my motivation to start saving dimes again. Not too long after that, I started finding dimes on the ground. They were just the reminder I needed that my dad was watching over me. About a year later, I deposited over $40 worth of dimes in the bank. Since that time I have continued to save every dime I find and most of the dimes that I get back as change. It is surprising how quickly they add up. I plan on trying the $5 savings plan starting today, and hopefully it will get me in the habit of using more cash instead of my debit and credit cards. Thanks for the idea!
- The $5 Savings Plan - Have you tried it?
- Using Foursquare to Save
- › Farm-themed birthday party favors?? 12 minutes ago
- › How old were you when you had your first child? 18 minutes ago
- › Strawberry Beeritas 22 minutes ago
- › What was their first word? 43 minutes ago
- › I found my summer clothes 48 minutes ago
- › Exercise Challenge--Minutes Per Week 05/12/2013 9 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Potty training success with #2 but not #1 9 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Gas prices May 2013 9 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › My 12 year old hates me...what should I do? 10 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Whats for dinner 5/17? 10 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Duck Dynasty: Season 1 by Kim
- › Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle by swishina
- › Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz by Annie's Mom
- › V8 Splash Berry Blend 64 oz (Pack of 8) by Annie's Mom
- › Tazo Tazo Iced Tea Passion 6 Bag (Pack Of 4) by Annie's Mom
- › Folgers Fresh Breaks Breakfast Blend Coffee, .85 Ounce (Pack of 8) by Kim
- › L'Oreal Evercreme Deep Nourish Masque 5.1 oz. (Pack of 6) by swishina
- › Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic by swishina
- › Joovy Caboose Stand On Tandem Stroller, Orangetree by swishina
- › Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8-Ounce Single Serve Bags (Pack... by swishina
- › First Once a Month Shopping Trip by JenM
- › The New Menu Plan - Once a Month Shopping by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update by JenM
- › Playdates on the Fly by Kim
- › The Stockpile by JenM
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -... by JenM