What do you do to keep your little ones busy during the summer on a budget?
Related Forum Threads
- Easter Basket Coloring Pictures Last post on 4/18/13 at 6:40am in Your Creative Side
- Easter Egg Lunch Last post on 3/22/13 at 9:13am in Your Creative Side
- Christmas Treat & Kids Activity: Marshmallow Snowman Last post on 12/5/12 at 7:26pm in Desserts
- Fun Kids Activities: Count Down Until Christmas Last post on 11/27/12 at 11:06am in Your Creative Side
- Holiday Recipes: Snowman Snack for Kids Last post on 11/25/12 at 1:50pm in Kitchen Chatter
We discovered Duck Dynasty last fall and bought Season One to catch up. As with any good TV show, there are distinct characters that make it funny. In this case, it's the Robertson family - who...
This is the best, simple rattle for babies. The two bars make it easy to grasp, and it makes the perfect rattle sound when baby shakes it. Not so noisy that it's annoying or disruptive, but...
I LOVE cooking with canned fire-roasted tomatoes! They add a little something extra to every dish whether it be chili or spaghetti sauce. Before finding the Hunt's, I had to pay twice the price...
I tried it because there was a good deal at my local grocery store. My kids honestly aren't much of juice drinkers, but I am. I thought this would be a good beverage to try on my picky eaters. ...
I LOVE this product!!! I tried it for the first time because I LOVE iced tea but not the caffeine. I like juice but it's way too strong and sweet of a flavor to quench my thirst. This herbal...
Frugal or cheap entertainment ideas for little children
Going to the library's story time was a weekly event for us as was going to the local park. We also got season passes at a local amusement park and also visited at least once a week. And since we could go as often as we liked, we only went for a few hours and never bought refreshments there to save more money.
When they're really little (preschool), it's SO much easier to entertain them cheaply. At least it was for me, since a lot of our community events are geared towards that age.
*Free library reading programs and events (clowns, jugglers, magic shows, etc)
*Wading pool (get pool passes)
*Mall play area for rainy days
I've always been one to get kids outside. During the day go on walks, hiking, camping, picking flowers, mud pies, kiddie pools, sidewalk chalk, jump rope, bike rides, making forts, etc etc. In the evenings round up sparklers and glow sticks, get jars for catching fireflies, blankets for staying up late (a treat in itself) and look at stars/constellations/shooting stars, etc.
Go to the library and take advantage of any library or community sponsered free events.
Go to the playground (99% of the time we just go to a nearby school)
Pull out odds and ends of paper, glue, glitter, fabric, markers, crayons and just let them go to town.
Picnics. Something as simple as making a normal lunch but bringing it out on a blanket on the lawn can make it seem more fun and special.
Get them involved with baking or making meals. Sure it may take you twice as long, but a lot of kids LOVE helping in the kitchen.
Honestly, it's so easy to keep kids occupied. And little kids have no concept of expensive or inexpensive entertainment. Fun is fun.
Older kids have a better concept of expenses. If you adopt a "we can't afford to go out so we're stuck at home" attitude, you've automatically just made "staying home" a bad or undesirable thing.
sprinklers or inflatable pool in the backyard
local touristy areas
crafts - I have a box of things just waiting for summer to hit - well I may pull a few out early since we don't get out of school until the 26th of June and go back in August.
Usually on Friday nights we try and have a fire in our firepit. We then make smores always a hit with everyone in the family.
Edited by budletsmom - 5/16/12 at 2:35pm
I am a Meetup.com Mommy. I am in several groups lots of opportunity to go over to a friends house or invite friends over. I have several neighbors with kids near my daughters age. I would really like to get into the just having another kid come over and play in the back yard type events.
Oh and all of the above
We did swing for summer camps this year. Girl scout day camp, and dance camp, We will be trying out ballet.
I am going to work at her camp and that is how you get it half off.
Ship her off to Grandma's Plan to do that and would like to have her cousin up for a few days.
- Frugal or cheap entertainment ideas for little children
- › What is your normal bed time 5 minutes ago
- › Do you go to car races? 7 minutes ago
- › What is your favorite thing to buy second hand? 10 minutes ago
- › May Crop- Chit Chat 46 minutes ago
- › AC or fans during the summer? 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Memorial Day Weekend Freebies, Deals and Activities 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › GIVEAWAY: Kroger Buy 5, Save $5 Event + WIN a $25 Kroger Gift Card! 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › I'm always looking for a deal on ______. 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Spin off: what UNfrugal things have you done this week 3 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › May Crop Game 3 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Duck Dynasty: Season 1 by Kim
- › Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle by swishina
- › Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz by Annie's Mom
- › V8 Splash Berry Blend 64 oz (Pack of 8) by Annie's Mom
- › Tazo Tazo Iced Tea Passion 6 Bag (Pack Of 4) by Annie's Mom
- › Folgers Fresh Breaks Breakfast Blend Coffee, .85 Ounce (Pack of 8) by Kim
- › L'Oreal Evercreme Deep Nourish Masque 5.1 oz. (Pack of 6) by swishina
- › Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic by swishina
- › Joovy Caboose Stand On Tandem Stroller, Orangetree by swishina
- › Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8-Ounce Single Serve Bags (Pack... by swishina
- › First Once a Month Shopping Trip by JenM
- › The New Menu Plan - Once a Month Shopping by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update by JenM
- › Playdates on the Fly by Kim
- › The Stockpile by JenM
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -... by JenM