If there is an item you want, but your size isn't on the floor:
Look for an employee with a scanner and show them the item you want. They can scan it to see if the store has it in stock. If there is a low quantity left and they can't find it in back (needle/haystack), don't think that they didn't look. Same if their scanner says out of stock. Thank them and move on.
You can go to customer service and have them check surrounding stores if you need it soon. If they find it in another store's inventory have the rep call that store and verify that an employee has the item, in your size, in hand, and has it put at customer service in your name. That way you aren't wasting time on a wild goose chase. Make sure you go to the right store to pick the item up too. If you have other items I suggest purchasing the wrong size and exchanging it at the store with yours in stock so you lock in the price and get any kohl's cash you'd be earning, similar to the kiosk method I detail below.
If it isn't in surrounding stores, or you don't want to make a trip and aren't in a rush, you can use the kiosk instead. Shipping is usually free and you can use coupons on it if they specify online. Scan the wrong-sized item at one and it should bring up that item online, where you can select the size and such. It may not come up automatically, you can then search manually by keyword or department. There may also be a button on it to call an associate for help. If that is the only item you are purchasing you're all set, you'll get it in a few days, yay!
If you have other items and its a kohl's cash promotion week I suggest the following:
1) Order the right sized item off the kiosk. You can use % off discounts you have a code for if you want to, but you'll be returning this item for purchase price with receipt once it comes in.
2) Buy the wrong sized item along with your other purchases.
***This is so you qualify for Kohl's cash if possible. If your other items totaled 80$, and the wrong sized one cost 30$ (total 110), you would be eligible for 20$ in Kohl's cash. If you only bought the 80$ in items in store, you would receive 10$ KC, then none for the kiosk purchase.
3) After the kiosk item comes in, at your convenience (perhaps when you can use the Kohl's cash), return to the store with both items and appropriate receipts.
4) Return the CORRECT size to customer service for your full refund. Make sure to bring the credit/debit card you used to make the return so you get your refund. This makes it so the store has your size in stock.
5) Request an EVEN EXCHANGE on the wrong sized item. This will not effect the balance of your Kohl's cash. Make sure its done as an even exchange. Not a refund. Refunds can mess up your Kohl's cash.
You now have the item you wanted in the right size.
I am an employee and have had to do the kiosk thing for an additional reason, even on non KC purchases. Employee discounts online are only available if I use Kohl's Charge. But I can't get one since I don't have prior credit, and I'm not eligible for the relaxed employee application for a few more months. In store I can just use my employee ID# and pay by cash. An annoyance, but worth the extra 15% on bigger purchases (Shoes >.>)