I've been a stay at home mom since I was 16, my husband (yes we got married and still are) would work while I finished high school. I learned its easier to make home made "cream of whatever" soups; buy whole chickens, cut up the parts for mutliple dinners and use the bones to make stock; make your own beans, freeze and portion into freezer bags; stale bread makes great croutons and garlic bread; a loaded baked potato, with veggies and maybe some shredded beef or chicken can make the hungriest man full; making your own "hamburger helper." buying processed food may seem inexpensive, but making it yourself is not only cheaper but better for you and most important your family; when items you use constantly go on sale, I dont "over stock up" but I'll spend as much money on the product as I usually would if it wasn't on sale so that way I'm sure not to over spend, example: I usually spend 6.99 on a large block of cheese, when it goes on sale for 5$ and I have a dollar off coupon, I'll usually buy two, it maybe a dollar more out of pocket but its really helping me in the end. We eat eggs, bacon and pancakes for dinner once a month, its a treat in our house. My husband now has a wonderful job and we both finished high school, but without learning some money saving tips I dont know what we would have done and even now I still refuse to pay for anything we would not have paid for prior to his job. What are some money saving tips you and your family use?
- topicFrugal Living
Related Forum Threads
- Spending to Save Last post on Yesterday at 2:30 pm in Spending Less and Saving More
- 7 REAL Habits of Frugal People Last post on 6/12/13 at 5:05am in Money Matters
- Are Americans getting fed up with frugality? Last post on 5/21/13 at 4:16am in Spending Less and Saving More
- Frugal Living vs. Simple Living Last post on 5/29/13 at 11:36am in Spending Less and Saving More
- 7 Habits of Frugal People Last post on 5/20/13 at 3:06pm in Money Matters
The Who & What - 2013 Goals and Accountability
Edited on 1/3/13
- Using Foursquare to SaveEdited on 8/24/12
- If You Love To Eat OutEdited on 2/7/12
- Save Money Right at HomeEdited on 2/7/12
- saving-money-using-a-co-opEdited on 2/7/12
I've been pretty flexible on diaper brands with my third baby, buying whatever I can get the best deal on. One week, that happened to be Pampers Baby Dry. The diapers seem about the same as...
These are the worse pull-on type training pants I've tried (including random brands I used in Asia). Worst of all, they are extremely bulky and heavy. It's difficult to tell if they were "used"...
We discovered Duck Dynasty last fall and bought Season One to catch up. As with any good TV show, there are distinct characters that make it funny. In this case, it's the Robertson family - who...
This is the best, simple rattle for babies. The two bars make it easy to grasp, and it makes the perfect rattle sound when baby shakes it. Not so noisy that it's annoying or disruptive, but...
I LOVE cooking with canned fire-roasted tomatoes! They add a little something extra to every dish whether it be chili or spaghetti sauce. Before finding the Hunt's, I had to pay twice the price...
my go to tips, what are yours?post #2 of 77/13/12 at 7:05pmpost #3 of 77/13/12 at 8:00pm
I agree that your list is very good. My tip is that I try and plan my meals around what is on sale each week. If boneless chicken is on a good sale, you can bet that we'll be eating it. Or if ground beef is on sale, I plan a meal or two around that. DH is a picky eater so it makes it a little more challenging. I agree that Aldi's does help with out budget. I buy a lot of the basics there and then we have a local grocery chain that has great prices on meat and produce so I do a lot of shopping there too. We try and avoid any frozen meals and most pre-packaged foods.post #4 of 77/14/12 at 6:22am
First let me say welcome to mommysavers!
Your list is great. My best tip is that I plan my menu for the month. That way if I see I am going to need something like salsa3 or 4 times I can buy it in bulk instead of the more expensive smaller jars. I also roughly know what time the stores I shop at mark down their meat. I buy meat in bulk and then break it down into meal sizes adn freeze. I also use the whole chicken. I cook it in hte crockpot whole then shred it and separate into 2 or 3 meals depending on size. I always pricematch my milk, meat, chips and produce with Walmart. When I cook I generally make enough so that DH can pack up leftovers for his lunch. Fend for yourself nights are planned twice a month as well.post #5 of 77/17/12 at 10:12pmpost #6 of 77/18/12 at 4:12ampost #7 of 77/18/12 at 6:58am
Welcome to MS!!
I love you tips, I do a lot of those things, but need to remember the stock up tip!! I sometimes get carried away when I see a good deal. My tip is don't be afraid of generics or off name brands. If you don't like a generic at one store you might like one at a different store. I do not have an Aldi's but we have Save-A-Lot. There are always pretty good deals there, and a lot of the store brand stuff is really good.
- Using Foursquare to Save
- › iso:btfe 49 minutes ago
- › What day do you clean out the fridge? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Do you keep "extra" money in your checking? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Having breast biopsy Wednesday...really nervous. 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Why is nap time at the hottest time of the day??? 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Hw often do you mow your grass? 2 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Exercise Challenge--Minutes Per Week 06/16/2013 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Have you ever had a family member murdered. 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › RIP Actor James Gandolfini, 51 4 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › So Kim & Kanye's baby has been born!! 6 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Pampers Baby Dry Diapers Jumbo Pack, Size 2, 42 Count by swishina
- › Pampers Easy Ups Diapers, Boy, Size 4, 26-Count by swishina
- › Duck Dynasty: Season 1 by Kim
- › Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle by swishina
- › Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz by Annie's Mom
- › V8 Splash Berry Blend 64 oz (Pack of 8) by Annie's Mom
- › Tazo Tazo Iced Tea Passion 6 Bag (Pack Of 4) by Annie's Mom
- › Folgers Fresh Breaks Breakfast Blend Coffee, .85 Ounce (Pack of 8) by Kim
- › L'Oreal Evercreme Deep Nourish Masque 5.1 oz. (Pack of 6) by swishina
- › Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic by swishina
- › First Once a Month Shopping Trip by JenM
- › The New Menu Plan - Once a Month Shopping by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/18/13 - Groceries - Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 2/4/13 - Groceries- Budget... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/28/13 (Tues Edition) -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday 1/21/13 - Grocery Trip -... by JenM
- › Meal Plan Monday - Groceries - Budget Update by JenM
- › Playdates on the Fly by Kim
- › The Stockpile by JenM
- › Monday Meal Plan - Weekend Grocery Trips -... by JenM