Have you check out your utility companies' websites? I am amazed at all the tools they provide for saving money and energy. Here are just a few I have seen. Sign in to your account online and see what your utility companies offer.
- A lot of companies provide free energy audits - they'll identify energy wasters such as window drafts, lack of proper insulation, old appliances etc.
- Spreading the estimated amount of your bills over the entire year
- Energy-saving education and tips
- Rebates for appliances, insulation and more
- Income qualified programs and high-bill help
I can actually go into my electric company account and see hour-to-hour usage of the previous day. It really makes it obvious when we turn on the TV/computer/AC! Most companies at least let you see daily usage.