Mommysavers › Forums › Hobbies & Home › Kitchen Chatter › Main Dishes › Paleo Turkey Nuggets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paleo Turkey Nuggets

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Forget McDonald's, a favorite of my children is Paleo Chicken/Turkey Nuggets. Actually, my children have had very few chicken nuggets in their lifetime. I use to eat them, in my teens, until one night, I bit into some sort of nastiness and never ate them again. I have no idea what was in my nugget, we were driving and I spit it out the window. I still shudder when I think about it.

Anyway, I have been looking for something to replace my DD's love of chicken strips. This was good.

In a small bowl, combine
1/2 cup of soy flour
1 cup of coconut
Salt and pepper to taste

In a larger bowl
2 pounds of ground chicken/turkey
1 cup coconut flour
3 eggs
Garlic powder to taste
Onion power to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.

Shape into two inch nugget sized shapes, dip into melted coconut oil or lard or whatever you use, and dip and cover with coconut mixture. Sauté for 3-4 minutes on each side till browned, and then bake in the over for an additional five minutes.

Cool and eat with your favorite dip. Makes about 30 nuggets.

There is a lot of flexibility in this recipe. You could, I am sure, use regular flour and different spices to your liking. DD doesn't like the coconut ones, so I cook her ones without.
post #2 of 10

What is coconut flour? Is it just finely minced coconut or something all together?

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Coconut flour is just one of the many variations of flour, glutton free, has a slighty sweet taste, I like it for pancakes, but it is pricey.
post #4 of 10

Do you have to go to a specialty store to buy the coconut flour?  I doubt my local Meijer carries it.  I'm wondering if Kroger has it in their organic section.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
In my very small town, we have one stoplight, I buy it from a small, local country store that carries speciality items. I haven't found it at my Safeway.

It is pricey but I am trying to step away from glutton just because I am loosing weight and I feel better not eating it. That said, I have been meaning to check out Amazon for it.
post #6 of 10

how do you get on with the coconut flour?  being gluten free I have tried many of these alternative flours, but I find that it sits like a ROCK in my tummy.... which isn't nice!

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsb View Post

In my very small town, we have one stoplight, I buy it from a small, local country store that carries specialty items. I haven't found it at my Safeway.
 

You're still in the Pacific NW so availability of goods is so much better there. I am still trying to adjust to live in the rural South. I really didn't realize how little is available here. I have one store in a 80 mile radius that will special order gluten-free items for me and I have to wait at least two weeks for that to come in. The alternative is ordering off Amazon.com. I haven't tried coconut flour yet. The last time I found almond flour I nearly hugged the package.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabellesmom View Post

how do you get on with the coconut flour?  being gluten free I have tried many of these alternative flours, but I find that it sits like a ROCK in my tummy.... which isn't nice!

I made pancakes with them and loved it but I haven't noticed any of the alternative flours giving me that problem.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie2 View Post

You're still in the Pacific NW so availability of goods is so much better there. I am still trying to adjust to live in the rural South. I really didn't realize how little is available here. I have one store in a 80 mile radius that will special order gluten-free items for me and I have to wait at least two weeks for that to come in. The alternative is ordering off Amazon.com. I haven't tried coconut flour yet. The last time I found almond flour I nearly hugged the package.

You know, coming from a small town that I usually have to go to the next town over for these types of purchases, that amazes me. But the store that I shop at, it's locally owned and we do have a lot of health nuts in this area. I have heard the south is typically full of bad eating habits? Perhaps that is what you are experiencing. Stores sell what people want to buy.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
I also use soy flour sometimes with these, it is a little less expensive but I wanted to try the sweeter flavor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Main Dishes
Mommysavers › Forums › Hobbies & Home › Kitchen Chatter › Main Dishes › Paleo Turkey Nuggets