Here's another fun Christmas craft my kids and I did. Like our homemade snowman window clings, this craft was based off a Halloween craft we did last year - Halloween Toilet Paper Roll Pals. For this craft, we used toilet paper rolls to make a Santa Claus, a Reindeer and a Snowman.
Here are the supplies needed for this Christmas toilet paper roll craft:
- 3 toilet paper rolls
- acrylic or finger paints - red, white, brown, black and orange
- red pipe cleaner
- construction paper - red, black, and brown
- white pompom or cotton ball
- glue and/or tape
- paint brushes
- Paint the toilet paper rolls the base color and allow to dry. You probably don't really need to paint the reindeer brown, but that was the one my 5 year old wanted to make and I didn't want to leave her out of the painting process.
- Paint the features on the toilet paper rolls. We did a face for the snowman, a face and toes for the reindeer, and a beard, eyes, belt and coat for Santa.
- To make the Santa hat, cut a half circle from red construction paper and tape it into a cone shape. Trim the bottom of the cone and paint a white stripe around the bottom. Glue on a white pom pom and glue the hat onto the top of the Santa toilet paper roll craft.
- To make the reindeer antlers, draw antler shapes on brown construction paper and cut them out. Tape to the inside of the reindeer toilet paper roll craft.
- To make the snowman hat, cut a circle from black construction paper for the brim. Cut a strip of black construction paper as wide as you want your hat to be tall. Tape the strip into a loop and glue it to the circle. Glue the hat on the snowman toilet paper roll craft.
- Tie a piece of red pipe cleaner around the snowman toilet paper roll craft for a scarf.
This toilet paper roll craft makes a frugal homemade Christmas decoration, but my kids are using them as toys. They loved making them and they'll probably be ruined by Christmas because they are now using them to play pretend. That just means we'll get to do this craft again next Christmas!