An easy way to create an easy personalized ornament is simply to grab some of those clear plastic ornaments and fill them with fun and unique items. The ornaments can be found in the seasonal department at Michael's. You can purchase them individually or in sets. There are several sizes and shapes to choose from so you can get creative.
Here are some ideas for filling those ornaments:
1. Use holiday sprinkles. I bought a bunch last year on clearance. You can use different kinds and layer them. Hint: Put the smallest sprinkles on the bottom and layer from smallest to largest.
2. Fill with shiny curling ribbon. Curling ribbon is pretty cheap, especially if you have some left over from last year. Curl with scissors, cut into pieces, and fill your ornament. Pick one color of several complimenting colors. I would use shiny ribbon for the best effect.
3. Layer sand. Use different colors of sand to create a "Sand Art" style ornament.
4. Layer different colored dried beans. This creates a county-style earthy type of ornament. Pick different colors of contrast like
black, pinto, and red kidney.
5. Fill with dried flowers. Grab some cheap potpourri mix at the Dollar Store. Pick one with some deep reds and earthy browns.
6. Fill with Legos. If you have a million Legos around your house, use them to fill your ornaments. It's a great project for little boys. Make them multi-colored or just pick one or two colors.
7. Fill with tinsel. Here is a new way to deck your tree with the shiny stuff, stick some in a round ornament. Note: You may need a small stick or screwed to push the tinsel into the ball as you fill it.
8. Fill with beads. Small jewelry beads are pretty inexpensive to buy. You could also upcycle your old jewelry by using the beads from an necklace you never wear. Kids costume jewelry from the Dollar Store could work as well.
9. Fill with buttons. Use old buttons you have collected or buy a package of mixed buttons at a craft store.
10. Use sand and small sea shells. Fill your ornament with a layer of sand. Top with 5-6 small sea shells for a beachy look.
Note: Make sure you have a small funnel handy to avoid a mess and frustration while filling your ornaments.
Here is another idea of how to make a personalized ornament.