Mommysavers › Forums › Hobbies & Home › Kitchen Chatter › What do you add into rice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you add into rice?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
What I mean is to make spanish rice,yellow rice,dirty rice or how ever your family likes it?
post #2 of 10
Well, this is probably not what you are looking for, but.... When I saw the title of your thread I thought you were wanting to know different ways to do rice. So.... I had already looked up something I had filed away. This was posted at another forum. She said she originally got the tips from ricecafe.com, but now that site is gone. Anyways, here are some other ways to spice up your rice:

Easy, Cheesy Rice: Add butter and parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Emerald Isle: Add peas and finely chopped fresh mint to hot, cooked rice.

Baked, but not Potato: Add crumbled bacon and sour cream to hot, cooked rice.

Lemon Zinger: Add butter, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest to hot, cooked rice

How Sweet It Is: Add cinnamon, sugar and butter to hot, cooked rice.

Maui Wowi: Add crushed pineapple and green bell pepper slices to hot, cooked rice.

Sesame Treat: Add toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil and thinly sliced green onions to hot, cooked rice.

Country Bumpkin: Add cream gravy to hot, cooked rice.

Health Nut: Add toasted sunflower seeds and raisins to hot, cooked rice.

Dracula's 'Shroom: Add mushrooms and garlic sauteed in butter to hot, cooked rice.

Gardener's Delight: Add chopped fresh basil, chopped tomatoes and fresh corn-off-the-cob to hot, cooked rice.

Leek Freak: Add butter and cooked leeks to hot, cooked rice.

Chantilly Rice: Add chanterelles, dried apricots and toasted almonds to hot, cooked rice.

Cantonese Please: Add broccoli flowerets, sesame oil, chopped toasted peanuts or cashews to hot, cooked rice.

Pass the Parmesan, Peas: Add garlic sauteed in butter, peas and
parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Polish BBQ: Add kielbasa sausage and barbecue sauce to hot, cooked rice.

Unkissable Crunch: Add sauteed garlic and onions, and toasted walnuts to hot, cooked rice.

Moo Goo Rice: Add sauteed mushrooms, snow peas and sliced water chestnuts to hot, cooked rice

Mama Mia: Add tomato basil sauce, cooked zucchini and Italian sausage to hot, cooked rice. Top with parmesan cheese.

Rice Ole: Add black beans, minced red onion, chopped bell pepper,
chopped cilantro, and vinaigrette to hot, cooked rice.

Corn on the Range: Add corn and barbecue sauce to hot, cooked rice

Southern Rice: Add cooked okra and stewed tomatoes to hot, cooked rice.

Porky Peas: Add crumbled bacon and peas to hot, cooked rice.

Hoppin' John: Add black-eyed peas and sliced green onions to hot,
cooked rice.

Veggy Medley: Add garbanzo beans, shredded carrots, ripe olives,
parsley, and ricotta cheese to hot, cooked rice. Top with parmesan cheese.

Mock Apple Cobbler: Add sliced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and vanilla yogurt to hot, cooked rice.

Rice Parmigana: Add mixed vegetables, your favorite spice or herb, butter, and parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

South of the Border: Add diced tomatoes, sliced green onions,
shredded monterey jack cheese and chopped cilantro to hot, cooked rice.

Hearty Rice: Add marinated artichoke hearts and grated Parmesan
cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Little Bit of Italy: Add asparagus tips, toasted pine nuts, red and
yellow peppers to hot, cooked rice. Top with Parmesan cheese.

U.S.S. Rice: Add naval orange slices, chopped red onions or
scallions, and vinaigrette dressing to hot, cooked rice.

Feeling Slightly Mexican: Add fresh avocado, tomato chunks, fresh
cilantro, and lots of lemon

Steam-it-Up: Add steamed zucchini and carrots, butter, parmesan
cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Nuts about Garlic: Add sauteed garlic and toasted pinenuts to hot,
cooked rice.

Let's Salsa: Add cooked beans, salsa and shredded cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Trail Blazer: Add yogurt and fresh fruit to hot, cooked rice. Top
with granola.

Pooh Bear's Favorite: Add milk, raisins, a little sugar and a dash of
vanilla to hot, cooked rice. Simmer until thickened. Drizzle with
honey.

Farmer's Scramble: Add scrambled eggs, sausage and green onions to hot, cooked rice.

Rice Cream: Add vanilla ice cream, dash of cinnamon to hot, cooked rice.

Indian Gold: Cook rice with a pinch of saffron. Add cooked green
beans.

Tea-Time: For extra flavor, toss an herbal tea bag into the water
while rice cooks.

Beefed-Up Rice: Cook rice in beef broth. Add sauteed onions, cashews, and raisins. Top with green onions

Rice Worth Crowing about: Cook rice in chicken stock. Add sauteed onions, mushrooms, green pepper, and toasted pine nuts.

It's Greek to Me: Cook rice in chicken broth with chopped onion and a clove of minced garlic. Fold in feta cheese and chopped parsley.

Curry in a Hurry: Saute curry and turmeric in saucepan. Add rice and stir to coat. Add water and cook rice. Top with chopped peanuts or cashews.

Zest of the Best: Saute uncooked rice, dried currants and orange zest in butter. Add water and cook until rice is tender.

Enjoy!!
post #3 of 10
I use simple things...so if I'm making rice pilaf, I use homemade chicken stock, some sauteed onions or shallots and fresh herbs.

Brown rice, I just cook regularily and then often we have grilled vegetables with it. Sometimes with some freshly grated romano cheese.

Wild rice, I also cook regularily or with chicken stock and then add sauteed mushrooms.

You can really add anything that you enjoy to rice - I like craisins in brown rice (but Dh and the kids do not). I tend to serve the 'add ins' separately and let everyone just add what they want.

We don't often have just plain white rice as a side dish...
post #4 of 10
broccoli and cheese.
post #5 of 10
Mushroom rice-we like this one a lot!

http://mommysavers.com/boards/salads...room-rice.html

Spanish rice

http://mommysavers.com/boards/salads...nish-rice.html

That is the two main ways we eat rice around here. I do make chicken fried rice and once in a while just plain white. The kids and I really like rice, dh not so much.
Another easy way add a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup to cooked rice.
post #6 of 10
emilyhope........wow...that's like the master list for rice add inslove it!
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily_hope View Post

Well, this is probably not what you are looking for, but.... When I saw the title of your thread I thought you were wanting to know different ways to do rice. So.... I had already looked up something I had filed away. This was posted at another forum. She said she originally got the tips from ricecafe.com, but now that site is gone. Anyways, here are some other ways to spice up your rice:

Easy, Cheesy Rice: Add butter and parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Emerald Isle: Add peas and finely chopped fresh mint to hot, cooked rice.

Baked, but not Potato: Add crumbled bacon and sour cream to hot, cooked rice.

Lemon Zinger: Add butter, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest to hot, cooked rice

How Sweet It Is: Add cinnamon, sugar and butter to hot, cooked rice.

Maui Wowi: Add crushed pineapple and green bell pepper slices to hot, cooked rice.

Sesame Treat: Add toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil and thinly sliced green onions to hot, cooked rice.

Country Bumpkin: Add cream gravy to hot, cooked rice.

Health Nut: Add toasted sunflower seeds and raisins to hot, cooked rice.

Dracula's 'Shroom: Add mushrooms and garlic sauteed in butter to hot, cooked rice.

Gardener's Delight: Add chopped fresh basil, chopped tomatoes and fresh corn-off-the-cob to hot, cooked rice.

Leek Freak: Add butter and cooked leeks to hot, cooked rice.

Chantilly Rice: Add chanterelles, dried apricots and toasted almonds to hot, cooked rice.

Cantonese Please: Add broccoli flowerets, sesame oil, chopped toasted peanuts or cashews to hot, cooked rice.

Pass the Parmesan, Peas: Add garlic sauteed in butter, peas and
parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Polish BBQ: Add kielbasa sausage and barbecue sauce to hot, cooked rice.

Unkissable Crunch: Add sauteed garlic and onions, and toasted walnuts to hot, cooked rice.

Moo Goo Rice: Add sauteed mushrooms, snow peas and sliced water chestnuts to hot, cooked rice

Mama Mia: Add tomato basil sauce, cooked zucchini and Italian sausage to hot, cooked rice. Top with parmesan cheese.

Rice Ole: Add black beans, minced red onion, chopped bell pepper,
chopped cilantro, and vinaigrette to hot, cooked rice.

Corn on the Range: Add corn and barbecue sauce to hot, cooked rice

Southern Rice: Add cooked okra and stewed tomatoes to hot, cooked rice.

Porky Peas: Add crumbled bacon and peas to hot, cooked rice.

Hoppin' John: Add black-eyed peas and sliced green onions to hot,
cooked rice.

Veggy Medley: Add garbanzo beans, shredded carrots, ripe olives,
parsley, and ricotta cheese to hot, cooked rice. Top with parmesan cheese.

Mock Apple Cobbler: Add sliced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and vanilla yogurt to hot, cooked rice.

Rice Parmigana: Add mixed vegetables, your favorite spice or herb, butter, and parmesan cheese to hot, cooked rice.

South of the Border: Add diced tomatoes, sliced green onions,
shredded monterey jack cheese and chopped cilantro to hot, cooked rice.

Hearty Rice: Add marinated artichoke hearts and grated Parmesan
cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Little Bit of Italy: Add asparagus tips, toasted pine nuts, red and
yellow peppers to hot, cooked rice. Top with Parmesan cheese.

U.S.S. Rice: Add naval orange slices, chopped red onions or
scallions, and vinaigrette dressing to hot, cooked rice.

Feeling Slightly Mexican: Add fresh avocado, tomato chunks, fresh
cilantro, and lots of lemon

Steam-it-Up: Add steamed zucchini and carrots, butter, parmesan
cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Nuts about Garlic: Add sauteed garlic and toasted pinenuts to hot,
cooked rice.

Let's Salsa: Add cooked beans, salsa and shredded cheese to hot, cooked rice.

Trail Blazer: Add yogurt and fresh fruit to hot, cooked rice. Top
with granola.

Pooh Bear's Favorite: Add milk, raisins, a little sugar and a dash of
vanilla to hot, cooked rice. Simmer until thickened. Drizzle with
honey.

Farmer's Scramble: Add scrambled eggs, sausage and green onions to hot, cooked rice.

Rice Cream: Add vanilla ice cream, dash of cinnamon to hot, cooked rice.

Indian Gold: Cook rice with a pinch of saffron. Add cooked green
beans.

Tea-Time: For extra flavor, toss an herbal tea bag into the water
while rice cooks.

Beefed-Up Rice: Cook rice in beef broth. Add sauteed onions, cashews, and raisins. Top with green onions

Rice Worth Crowing about: Cook rice in chicken stock. Add sauteed onions, mushrooms, green pepper, and toasted pine nuts.

It's Greek to Me: Cook rice in chicken broth with chopped onion and a clove of minced garlic. Fold in feta cheese and chopped parsley.

Curry in a Hurry: Saute curry and turmeric in saucepan. Add rice and stir to coat. Add water and cook rice. Top with chopped peanuts or cashews.

Zest of the Best: Saute uncooked rice, dried currants and orange zest in butter. Add water and cook until rice is tender.

Enjoy!!

Holy cow.Yup that is what I was looking for different things to add into rice.Wow
post #8 of 10
Hehehehe.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mercedes View Post

emilyhope........wow...that's like the master list for rice add inslove it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans_mom10 View Post

Holy cow.Yup that is what I was looking for different things to add into rice.Wow


Good. Glad y'all liked it.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans_mom10 View Post

What I mean is to make spanish rice,yellow rice,dirty rice or how ever your family likes it?

What is 'dirty rice'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mercedes View Post

emilyhope........wow...that's like the master list for rice add inslove it!

I'm going to have to save this list somewhere!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Kitchen Chatter
Mommysavers › Forums › Hobbies & Home › Kitchen Chatter › What do you add into rice?