If you read my article, Hitting the Bullseye: Strategies for Shopping at Target, you’ll see that Target typically does their toy markdowns on Wednesday. Well, it looks like that held true because the Target in my neck of the woods (Mankato, Minnesota) did a great round of markdowns on their toy clearance last night.
When I was there this morning, two aisles were 75% off, as well as some endcaps. People were loading up carts while I was there, and by weekend there won’t be much left. If you want to hit this sale, I’d suggest you head to your Target store PRONTO. At these prices, these toys won’t last long.
I included some photos below of what I saw. Please note that your experience and selection will vary. If you’d like to see a video of toys possibly marked down at your Target store, here’s one I shot on Sunday, January 9th: Target Toy Clearance 2011.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to reign in the urge to spend:
- Shop with a recipient in mind (I organize my gift-giving with a spreadsheet, as shown here)
- Keep in mind that kids change their taste in toys. Barbie may be the hot thing right now, but she may be long forgotten by Christmas time this year.
- Many of these items are big and bulky. Will you have room to store them?
- If you do end up overbuying, return what you don’t need
- If you STILL ended up overbuying and passed the return period (90 days with receipt at Target) donate toys to your favorite childrens’ charity