This is my simplified version of a meatball casserole recipe that I got at a kitchen show (I think Pampered Chef), years ago. If you are looking for a quick, easy, tasty “comfort food” dish, this one is for you. The frozen veggies and meatballs mean this meal can be on the table in 45 minutes or less. (If you want to substitute fresh veggies and homemade meatballs, simply saute the veggies of your choice and cook the meatballs ahead of time.)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen veggies of choice (I use peas and carrots.) coupon = $1.00 off 2
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil (for sauteing)
- 2 cloves fresh pressed garlic (You may substitute powdered or minced, if you prefer.)
- 16 oz. frozen meatballs
- 12 oz. jarred gravy
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 package refrigerated bread sticks coupon = $0.40 off 2
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute frozen vegetables and fresh garlic in vegetable oil, using a large skillet.
- Add frozen meatballs, gravy, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- While the meatball mixture is simmering, coat your favorite casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- When the meatball mixture is finished simmering, pour it into the casserole dish.
- Remove bread sticks from their container, but DO NOT separate the individual sticks. Instead, cut the entire loaf evenly into 12 round slices (see picture above).
- Place the individual slices around the edge of the meatball mixture. Overlap the slices a small bit (see picture above).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown in color.