Here is an easy-yet-frugal keepsake ornament idea that uses one of your favorite family photos in a creative way. All you’ll need is transparency paper (found in the office supply section at any major retailer) and a clear ornament. Your entire project costs less than $2 per ornament, or even less if you purchase the ornaments on sale. I got a 4-pack of ornaments for $4 at Michaels to use for this project.
- First, measure your ornament. The one that I used was 3 inches in diameter.
- Next, select the photo you want to use. Re-size it in a photo editing program so that it is slightly larger than the size of the ornament (I re-sized mine to 3.1 inches).
- Insert transparency paper in your printer (be sure to read package instructions first) and print your images.
- Use transparency paper to print your photos, but make sure you put it in the printer the right way. Yes, there are two sides – I learned this the hard way!
- Next, let your photos/transparency paper dry for a minimum of 10-15 minutes to avoid smearing them.
- Cut the photo/transparency in a circle the same size as your ornament. If you scrapbook, you may have a circle cutter. Otherwise, you can use a compass to draw a circle and then trim off the excess.
- Gently roll up the photo/transparency and slip it inside the hole at the top of the ornament.
- Decorate your ornament. Ideas include writing the year on it, ribbon on top, or even placing glitter or pom-poms inside the ornament itself – use your imagination!